Swatch Doctor quick!!!

General Swatch Talk

Moderator: Moderation Team

Beginner
Beginner
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:43 am
This is a call out to all you Swatch PhD's.
I have an 88 Tiquertape I just bought on e-bay. Of course I cleaned and polished it and it looks nice but sadly as with many e-bay purchases, it does not work right.
I put in a brand new battery but the second hand on the watch appears stuck. It simply palpitates in one single place near 2 oclock ticking up and down but not going around. It is alive but not all the way. It sounds fine. I have already made the hands go round and round several times and played with the date window. Everything seems OK.
Im wondering, would it help if I soak it in olive oil or is there some other crazy solution like that that someone can suggest???
Peace
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 am
Try to give the watch a little tick on the table this will help sometime
Ore clean the little steel pin were the battery goes in
If this not help
:cry:

jeroen
Dr Swatch
Beginner
Beginner
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 am
Thank you for the pointers Jeroen.
I gave it a good cleaning with an old toothbrush and scraped the metal pin with a small screwdriver then I put in the battery and still it did not work but then I followed your sage advise and thumped it firmly on a mousepad and VOILA!!! it began to go around instead of staying in one spot. The second hand has still stalling around the 2 oclock area but I gave it a blast with that canned air that they sell for the cleaning of computers and now it seems to be just fine. 8)
Peace
Beginner
Beginner
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 pm
another way to fix those dreaded bouncing second hands is this...get a can of WD40 and ON THE SIDE, spray into the cap of the can and then with a Qtip or something, get a drop or 2...not alot...and drop it in the battery compartment, they use compressed air and give it a burst to get the fluid inside...again, DONT USE TOO MUCH or you will get splattering on the face/crystal...just use VERY VERY LITTLE...all you really need is a speck to get to the gear thats dirty and it does the trick.

I have saved 5 swatches I won on ebay by doing this and its amazing when you buy a swatch the person says doesnt work...and you get it to work! I have only tried this on watches that have the bouncing hand...who's to say this wont work on other dead swatch issues...I havent tried. :D

P.S. One note of caution when it comes to the metal pin in the battery compartment, if you are cleaning/scraping it to make a better conection, be CAREFULL not to put too much pressure or it will break off and then for sure your swatch wont work since this cant be fixed.
Official Member
Official Member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:56 am
To add to this debate,I have had the same issue with a number of swatches. :?
After trying all the above,I gave up and resigned myself to the fact,that these were beyond repair. :evil:
Putting several to one side,on my work bench,which just happened to be directly under a powerful desk lamp.
Several hours later,I was surprised to find 3 out of the 5 had suddenly started working and have worked perfectly ever since. :lol:
Since then I have had moderate success with other swatches with the same problem,it would appear the warmth from the lamp bulb heats the case slowly,which seems to free up the inner workings.
Its worth giving it a go at least. :!:

Regards SWATCHAHOLIC
Beginner
Beginner
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:58 pm
Yes, warming the case works...I have in the past gotten a swatch that has a second hand that bounces but goes nowhere...

I put the oven on warm and leave the watch in there about 5 minutes...then it comes out working.

WARNING!!! DO NOT HEAT TOO MUCH as the components in the watch are held together withing the plastic itself...so if it gets TOO hot, you may misallign or ruin things.

If you ever took apart an old swatch that was dead you will know what I say.

unlike traditional watches that have mechanisms that are all one piece and can be taken out of the casing, Swatch made the watches as ONE piece. That means the actual plastic case holds everything together and the mechanisms are embeded and melted into place. FYI

One final word...yes warming them up DOES work but DO NOT OVERHEAT where they would melt. Common sense.

oh I also found if you live in an area where you have hot sunny days that leaving the swatch out on a hot day will yield similar results

Beginner
Beginner
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:36 pm
Hey, I have had luck using a hair dryer to warm the swatch.

Return to General